Wednesday, April 6, 2016

I am not "Disabled"

Language impacts people with disabilities so much but as culture changes language does.. Does it depend on how we use it? Yes it does
As I grow up I didn't pay much attention to the language that is being use to relate to people with disabilities.
Now not only do I have a disability but I am an advocate for people with disabilities things become more clear in my work.
Every morning or evening on the news I hear such phrases heavy traffic and delays or a disabled vehicle is on the left side of the highway
Cars
Truck
Buses..etc because a "Disabled" vehicle so how can people who are human be Disabled too.
I am not broken
I use a wheelchair for mobility so how does that make me disabled? I am still able move
I am still in the learning process of using a communication deceive so people can hear me in large groups louder. But that does not mean I can not talk
People uses walkers, canes etc to be an assistant   to them. They are not disabled.
We are give aids to live an independent life and allow equal access to what makes us be labeled Disabled...
I am not disabled..
Define Disabled
#nolablels
   

No comments:

Post a Comment