Monday, September 21, 2015

My reaction towards the idea of Guardianship

The idea of guardianship for a person with a disability is a great policy for a caregiver for an individual who are not  able to make proper discussions for themselves when they became an adult from 18-21 years old, this is an legal process and will have to go to family court to make an official steps in this matter. A parent will always believe they are their child's parent  and will be their guardian forever which is not the case unfortunatly. It makes a parent  feel like if a piece of their heart just broke away.. and they will no longer have no say for a child they care for and about esspecially when they have a dis-ability.  When I attend doctors appointments with my Home Health Aid, the doctors and nurses look forward to seeing my mother in appearance which makes me going to these appointments so discouraging, my mom is only considered my advocate to some point but all  discussion are made by me. My mom has done so much for me, now she is teaching me my independence and enjoying the breaks that she has now that I have all my support services that I didn't have years ago to take me to appointments and more. I know enough about my disability to relate to medical professions and even educate others, I know the right from wrong, I ask questions and if something don't sound right I say " Hold on" let me ask my mom for advice  I have a feeling that because I am diagnosed mild mentally delayed that would be the reason they look forward to seeing my mom or because I look young they don't think I am 20 years old, issues like this can possibly  make me required  for full guardianship. Because of this my rights and voice will be taken away I will give up my rights of choose  and since I am able I will be the one to sign off on this process. I don't want this to happen but that document is following me all over I want it remove but I don't know how this can change for me I am afraid that document will take my bright future away but my mom believe I am not in need of guardianship but I will now question whats on paper and how does it define me..
This has been on my mind for a while because I knew what idea would be

No comments:

Post a Comment